MAPS & ROUTES
Below are links to free maps of bicycle routes on local and regional roadways and state highways, as well as some dedicated bike paths, throughout California.
For more specific route suggestions in your area, contact your local bike advocacy organization. Local cycling clubs are also good sources for touring and recreational routes.
Have an online map to recommend? Found a broken link on this page? Contact us!
- Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake and Mendocino counties-state highway maps (pdf) maintained by Caltrans District 1
- Humboldt Bay Area Pacific Coast Bike Route (pdf)-segments through Del Norte, Humboldt and Mendocino counties
- Chico (pdf) and Bidwell Park (pdf)
- Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Shasta, Siskiyou, Tehama and Trinity counties (pdf)-all state highway segments open and closed to bicycles within Caltrans District 2
- Redding and Mt. Shasta area maps are hosted by Shasta Living Streets.
Sacramento area, Northern Sierras and Lake Tahoe
- Map links for the counties of El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, Yuba and Yolo, including city maps for Davis, Elk Grove, Folsom, Roseville and Sacramento, are hosted by our local partner Sacramento Area Bike Advocates.
- Lake Tahoe area, courtesy of the Lake Tahoe Bicycle Coalition.
- Nevada City area road rides.
Greater San Francisco Bay Area
- Alameda and Contra Costa County maps are best accessed through Bike East Bay’s online route planning page.
- Napa County
- San Benito County
- San Mateo and Santa Clara County maps are listed on the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition’s maps page.
- San Francisco
- Solano County (pdf)
San Joaquin Valley and Southern/Eastern Sierras
- Monterey bike routes (provided by Bike Monterey)
- Monterey County (countywide)
- San Luis Obispo County
- Santa Barbara County
- Santa Cruz County
Greater Los Angeles Area, Ventura County and Inland Empire
- Digital map of the entire LA metropolitan area (LA Metro)
- LA Metro and C.I.C.L.E. each have maps for great community rides
- Park Trail Maps from the L.A. Department of Parks and Recreation
- Santa Clarita-bike routes and off-road trails
- Adventure Cycling Association is the best source for long-distance bike touring maps throughout the United States.
- Bikemap.net is a huge source of user-generated bike maps.
- Google Maps bike layer has become pretty good in suggesting good bike routes to and from just about anywhere.
- OpenCycleMap is an incomplete bike map layer on the open source “Open Street Maps.”
- TrailLink trail finder is a searchable database hosted by our friends at the Rails to Trails Conservancy.