CAREERS AT CALBIKE
Temporary Policy Associate
The California Bicycle Coalition is seeking a part-time temporary Policy Associate to support the Executive Director and Senior Policy Advocate in their advocacy campaigns.
CalBike works at the intersection of social justice and bicycling advocacy to help California’s communities become more equitable, safer, and more sustainable, and to help more Californians take advantage of bicycling for health, prosperity, and joy.
About the Position
Our Policy Associate will mostly assist our campaign to win a grant program to subsidize e-bikes. E-bike trips will replace many car trips, reducing our greenhouse gas emissions and supporting Californians who can use their bikes for their long and hilly trips, for their delivery jobs, to take children to school, and countless other purposes.
Day-to-day tasks will include the following:
- Communicating with allied organizations to understand their perspective and earn their practical support.
- Responding to questions from members and others about the campaign, helping them engage as necessary.
- Coordinating volunteers in the creation of policy briefs and other communications.
- Coordinating online events and presentations.
- Setting up meetings between legislators and community leaders.
Additional tasks, depending upon skills, may also include:
- Testifying at a meeting in Sacramento, probably online but possibly in person, depending on COVID protocol
- Newsletter and Action Alert writing
- Experience with policy advocacy or political campaigning
- Good speaking skills, able to communicate sometimes complicated policy objectives clearly and concisely
- A good listener, able to understand another’s perspective and restate it clearly and empathetically
- Experience at the state level, with legislative or organizational leaders
- Spanish language proficiency
- Great writing skills
- Knowledge of and familiarity with online organizing tools
Compensation is for 20 hours per week, at $40-$50/hour, depending on qualifications. This is a temporary position for approximately six months, starting as soon as possible. No fringe benefits, except those required by law, are provided. We reimburse for the cost of your phone and computer for the duration of your employment.
Apply by February 28
Send your résumé and cover letter by February 28 to Dave Snyder at Jobs@calbike.org. CalBike is a diversity and justice-oriented organization and as such does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, creed, mental or physical disability, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
We regularly need volunteers in the Bay Area or in Sacramento, and also have some positions for volunteers working remotely. Our local partners have volunteer opportunities as well.
Here are some of our volunteer opportunities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering.
- Photography and videography
- Graphic design
- Testifying at hearings in Sacramento
- Event volunteering — suspended due to COVID-19
- Data management
CalBike provides equal employment opportunities without regard to age, ancestry, color, creed, mental or physical disability, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.