STRATEGIC PLAN 2012-2017: WHAT WE ACCOMPLISHED
In 2017, we wrapped up a five-year strategic plan built on four strategies.
Bikeways to Everywhere (Strategy 1: Build the Infrastructure)
Imagine a world with Bikeways to Everywhere, where riders of all ages and levels can ride a bicycle, comfortably and conveniently, wherever they want to go.
- Improving Bikeway Design. We got the Protected Bikeways Act passed, legalizing the kind of bikeways proven to get more people riding. We got Caltrans to adopt more modern guidelines for street design.
- Complete Streets. We’re launched our Complete Streets Campaign, pushing our state agencies to require cities to always include bicyclists whenever they build (or rebuild) their streets.
Bicycling for Everyone (Strategy 2: Mainstream the Bicycle)
Anyone should be able to choose to ride a bicycle. We help all Californians embrace bicycling as part of our shared culture.
- Removing electric bike bans. We updated regulations that treated low-speed electric bikes the same as mopeds, opening thousands of miles of bike paths to people for whom the electric bike means freedom: people with disabilities, or those with heavy loads, children, or long, hilly commutes.
- Making electric bicycles affordable for everyone. We got electric bicycle share included in the state’s clean vehicle rebate program.
- Expand bike share. We worked with local partners to help expand bike share and make it accessible to low-income neighborhoods.
Protecting Your Rights (Strategy 3: Protect people who ride by improving the respect they receive.)
We work to ensure that the legal system protects those who choose to ride.
- The Three Feet for Safety Act went into effect in 2014, and we’ve been heavily promoting it to make sure that motorists follow the law.
- Education, Not Fines. We won the right for your community to offer safety education classes, instead of fines, to ticketed bicyclists.
- Defeated Helmet Mandate. We defeated a helmet mandate that would have applied to adult bicycle riders.
Build a Stronger Movement (Strategy 4)
Strengthen the voice of all Californians who seek to make the communities better through more bicycling.
- The 2013, 2015, and 2017 California Bicycle Summits. These events attracted hundreds of diverse and powerful advocates to share knowledge and best practices in Oakland, San Diego, and Sacramento.
- Transportation Equity Summit & Advocacy Day. Each May, we hosted a signature lobbying event of the year bringing together bicycle-advocate constituents with their legislators.
- Stronger Local Advocacy. We granted more than $10,000 to local advocacy organizations and engaged in training and mutual support to strengthen local advocacy.