CalBike is Hiring a Policy Assistant
Part time, temporary
End: October 31, 2019
Location: your home office in/near Sacramento CA
Compensation: $30/hour, contract (no benefits)
The California Bicycle Coalition is seeking a part-time temporary Policy Assistant to support our Senior Policy Advocate in Sacramento. The position involves researching and communicating about the impacts of our policy proposals and assisting the Senior Policy Advocate with coordinating logistics of CalBike’s policy campaigns.
You must be based in or nearby Sacramento, but the work would mostly be done remotely.
Policy Research and Writing: Interview experts and survey existing literature to write briefs and fact sheets about our priority campaigns
Complete Streets Campaign
- Finish Case Studies to illustrate examples where a complete streets approach was desired by local community leaders but disregarded by Caltrans
- Potential impact (environmental, economic) of adding e-bikes to the scrap-and-replace program (e.g. of the 9 or 10 MPOs, how much of the population does that capture?)
- Potential benefits to California (environmental, economic) in repeating the same program
- Success of voucher programs around the world
- Create, format, and produce fact sheets and other campaign materials
Outreach and Organizing Support
- Coordinating expressions of support for all our campaigns
- Collecting letters of support from supporting organizations
- Collecting logos for inclusion on joint letters and endorsement web page
- Social Media Support for Campaigns
- At least once daily posting to Facebook and Twitter in support of our campaigns
- Develop list of contacts to reach out for our policy campaigns
- Set up meetings with collaborating organizations, regional agencies, etc.
- Assisting with action alerts to gain public engagement
Other reasonable job duties as assigned by Senior Policy Advocate.
Tech-savvy (social media, Google suite, etc.)
Great written and spoken communications skills
Thrives in fast-paced policy environment
Basic design eye (to format fact sheets, etc.)
Undergraduate degree preferred
Experience with or knowledge of transportation policy preferred
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample as one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and the job title, “Policy Assistant,” in the subject line. Applicants who do not follow these instructions will not be considered.