Communications Director (oakland downtown)
compensation: commensurate with experience
employment type: full-time
California Bicycle Coalition
The Communications Director will shape and implement the California Bicycle Coalition's communications plan and take the lead on membership engagement.
The position is based in our Oakland headquarters in Jack London Square. We offer a competitive salary with generous benefits including a retirement contribution.
About the California Bicycle Coalition (CalBike)
The California Bicycle Coalition is California's state-level bicycling advocacy organization, working to enable more people to ride bicycles for healthier, safer, and more prosperous communities for all. CalBike partners with all 16 professionally-staffed local bicycle advocacy organizations across the state. We will have five full-time staff: four in Oakland at an office shared with Bike East Bay, and one in Sacramento. We also employ a number of contractors, including a lobbyist and administrative support.
Our current communications efforts include a brand new NationBuilder-based website, a monthly electronic newsletter, various social media channels but mainly Facebook and Twitter, and the opportunity to get placement in the communications efforts of our local partners across the state. Our membership engagement strategy currently includes using those aforementioned channels plus direct campaign-related email, direct postal mail, and events.
Our Communications Director will work to achieve the following goals:
• Increasing bicycling
• Promoting the California Bicycle Coalition and its role in enabling bicycling
• Recruiting new members to the organization, and improving engagement with them
• Reaching Californians of diverse backgrounds and circumstances
Specific Responsibilities include:
• Leading the team in developing a strategic communications plan
• Oversee, and execute as needed, all copy intended for public consumption to ensure its alignment with the strategic communications plan: printed materials, brand placement, electronic communications, presentations, speeches and talking points
• Manage CalBike's social media channels to increase engagement and reach
• Serve as lead point person on media interactions and actively cultivate and manage press relationships to increased earned media placements
• Manage relationships with any communications-related vendors or consultants
• Excellent writing skills
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills
• Demonstrated success at building followers and engaging audience across different social media platforms
• Ability to engage press with track record of earned media placements
• Personal support of CalBike's mission and strategic plan
• Strong organizational skills
• Flexible and adaptable style
• Creative and thoughtful on new trends in communications
• Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
• Self-reliant and highly motivated
• Knowledge of membership-building strategies
• Demonstrated commitment to equity
• Spanish bilingual and biliterate
• Database skills (especially Nationbuilder)
• Visual design skills
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, minimum $60,000, plus health insurance, 3% retirement match, $240/year bicycle commuting benefits, paid holidays, and 18 days per year of paid personal time off.
Application: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three writing samples that demonstrate communications skills; please also list relevant links to social media feeds or websites that you have had a central role in creating (along with the specific timeframe we should be looking at to see your work) in one PDF file. Please ensure that the subject line of your email includes the text "Communications Director."
Process: Email application to email@example.com. Position open until filled. If this job description is active, the position is still open.
CalBike is an equal opportunity employer. People of all sexual orientations, gender identities, people of color and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
keywords: writer communications bicycle nonprofit social change social media editor