High-Speed Rail Looking To CalBike for Guidance

The Authority is working to develop a potential “new and original” bike policy. They are studying best practices to apply in the Central Valley with fairly suburban land uses, as well as in urbanized Los Angeles and along the Peninsula, where bicycle ridership is already high. Their policy must integrate bikes into a system that […]

Read More »

Vote November 4th

All over California, bicycling organizations are tapping into the power of people who ride bikes as well as those who support riding bikes. Since this is a mid-term election with a lower turnout, your vote has much more power than it normally would. Many local initiatives are being supported by our affiliates. Together, these measures […]

Read More »

New GHSA Report Gets It Wrong

A recent report by the Governors Highway Safety Association attracted a great deal of attention, but the way they present the data is misleading. The report implies that riding a bike in California has gotten more dangerous in the past few years. In fact, bicycling is almost twice as safe in California as it was […]

Read More »

Celebrating Allan Crawford

When people ask me why I decided to focus all of my media relations energy on biking and active living advocacy my politically correct answer is that I truly believe these are some of the most important tools for optimism for some of the biggest challenges facing our modern era – the growing cost of […]

Read More »

Join us on the Queen Mary for a great party

I love going to a great party. And we’re throwing one on November 3 in Long Beach. We’ll take over the Verandah Grill on board the RMS Queen Mary to celebrate the huge progress we Californians made in 2014 toward better bikeways throughout California. I hope you’ll join us. Three things to celebrate: —  The riders […]

Read More »

Greenhouse Gases and Bike Funding

California’s landmark program to cap greenhouse gas emissions will generate $835 million this year to support programs that will reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Up to 8% of the fund, or $65 million, can be spent directly on walking and biking, but the Governor could get much more value out of the other 92% if biking […]

Read More »

2014 Year in Review

California is poised to become one of the most bike innovative states in nation. The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) got a new mission and vision statement that is more bicycle friendly, and they endorsed progressive street designs. A new State Transportation Agency is shaking up how California traditionally thinks of transportation, and we got […]

Read More »

2015 Legislation Webinar

On October 21st at noon, the California Bicycle Coalition will be hosting a webinar to set our legislative agenda for 2015. We want to talk about how the 2014 legislative session turned out, how it will affect legislation for 2015, and we want to hear from you what you think should be the top priorities […]

Read More »

Final Victory in Our 3-Feet Campaign!: CTCDC approves a “State Law Pass Bikes 3 feet Min” Sign!

The California Bicycle Coalition’s campaign to win more safety for bike riders on shared roads by instituting a three-foot passing rule can celebrate passing the last significant milestone with approval last week of a traffic sign telling motorists to pass bicycles at a minimum distance of three feet. The Governor’s signature on AB 1371 signaled […]

Read More »

Protected Bikeways Act Opens Door to the Bicycle Bliss We’ve Dreamed Of

By Dave A growing cohort of advocates, along with major companies that are concerned about their employees’ ability to bike to work, are beginning to emphasize that we need complete bike networks to truly enable more people to bike. As I reported in my reflections on the Pittsburgh bike conference, cutting-edge bike planning doesn’t just […]

Read More »